Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Older

and wiser? I hope so.

22 years ago today, I needed a change of scenery. I decided that 9 months was long enough to hang out in the womb. It was time to do things a little bit more on my own for a change. You know, things like breathing with my lungs. So I made my way out of the womb, causing some pain along the way. Okay, a lot of pain, but meds probably helped. But the umbilical cord was cut, and I became a separate being.

22 years later, it's the same story. Though I'm not so sure that leaving the womb will be so easy this time. Can babies second-guess if they're ready to be born? Can they say, "You know, I think this is rather comfortable and would like to stay here for a bit longer. This whole nutrients-going-right-through-my-bellybutton thing is kinda cool"? But in either case, the baby has to be born. It's like what my high school English teacher told us before we graduated: womb to tomb. Cradle to the grave. You will die if you refuse to be born.

Now I am not saying that living at home for the past two weeks is killing me. But there will come a time, yet to be determined, for this baby to be born.

So in the words of Alex Waardenburg, "Let's make like a fetus and head out."

1 comment:

Starleisha G. said...

You're great. I'm glad you didn't second guess the whole being born thing. and I love that you quoted Alex. haha. <3