Thursday, July 16, 2009

Only a teenage girl...

... could draw attention to insecurities I have tried to hide for years.

When I was about 10 years old, my ballet teacher noticed that my legs were structured a bit differently than everyone else. In the middle of barre work, she called the entire class over to ogle. I left that studio within a few years. At my new studio, I worked extra hard on my turnout, just so I could appear "normal" next to all the perfect ballerinas. Teenage insecurity does not disappear easily, even with age. Only in recent years have I become comfortable wearing dresses or shorts in the summer. To this day, I try to stand with my feet turned out so my leg structure is not so pronounced (and I realize that people will now be looking at how I stand).

Sometimes teenagers lack a filter and say whatever comes to their minds, but even if it is unintentional, teenage girls have a knack for finding where you are weak.

3 comments:

Ammon said...

That is terrible. Teenagers and especially some teenage girls do not seem to have a filter to keep their rotten innards on the inside.

Cindy said...

They're not rotten. They're just not thinking.

Ammon said...

We are all rotten I think.